- I am an active Democrat. I have run for office three times in Mount Vernon, WA—for Mayor (2007) and City Council (2009, 2011).
- Active in Union and Madison-Miller Neighborhood Councils in Seattle in the 1990’s including participation in Madison-Miller neighborhood “Urban Village” planning process.
- Currently, a member of the Mount Vernon Main Street Design Committee (through the Mount Vernon Downtown Association).
- Volunteer on Board of Directors of NAMI Skagit (National Association for Mental Illness) since 1/1/15
- Volunteer on Skagit Transit Community Advisory Committee for over 10 years.
- Member of Seattle Education Association / Washington Education Association (25 years to present)
- Member of SEIU 775 as a COPES family caregiver (2011-13)
- BA, Empire State College, Rochester NY (1974)
- Massage Practitioner training at Acadia Health Center, Seattle (1975). WA State License #233 (since 1976)
- BA, The Evergreen State College, Olympia, WA (1987) with Teaching Certificate
- M.Ed, University of Washington, School Counseling Certification (1991)
- Education Administration (Principal Certification), Seattle University (1993)
- Certificate, Brain Research in Education through University of Washington Extension 2004
- PhD, Saybrook University, with Concentration in Integrative Health Studies, San Francisco, CA (2012)
- Dissertation on the application of brain research and neuroscience to education, teaching and wellness
I have been employed by Seattle Public Schools since 1991. I worked as an elementary and high school Counselor, drug/alcohol Intervention Specialist, Special Education teacher, coordinator of vocational internships for high school students with disabilities. This year I have worked at Licton Springs K-8 as a LAP (remedial math and reading) teacher.
I do not have a position for next school year, as I will be campaigning full time from this June through November. I will supply a list of all schools and positions I have worked at in Seattle Schools since 1991 upon request.
I have been a massage practitioner since 1975, self-employed, associated with the cooperative business New Seattle Massage in Seattle’s University District since it was founded by a group of practitioners in 1981. I currently have a part-time Swedish massage and Reflexology practice in Mount Vernon at the Sunsational Salon.
Interests: Music, singing, play guitar and accordion. Exercise—gardening, walking, swimming, bicycling around town.